Saturday, July 21, 2007

Doi Suthep pictures

This post is mainly for pictures, since I haven't posted any in the last few posts. This morning I climbed Doi Suthep with three other farangs and a Thai woman. On the top of the mountain there is a wat, or temple. This particular wat is somewhat of a tourist attraction and now costs 30 baht per person for entrance. While walking up this staircase Linda was able to strike up a conversation with some Mong children. I didn't get a picture of them because they were charging a fee for pictures of them. I think its kind of sad that these children are being used for a sort of child labor.

On the way up we passed through several wats so I took a few shots of them. There's a picture of a cave with something like eleven Buddha images. Then below that I have two stone lions protecting the wat from spirits. These are actually very common all over in front of every wat you find. Sometime I'll have an opportunity to attend a monk talk, I think I'll ask them about these lions. Lastly I took a mountain outlook of Chiang Mai.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - Two posts in one day!! ;-)
Nice pics. Is the last pic a view over home?
-DaveK

Unknown said...

Yes, if you click on the picture to zoom in you can see a more detailed view of Chiang Mai. I live practically under the Sheridan hotel which is a tall sky scraper, perhaps between the bushes towards the left of the picture.