Saturday, June 9, 2007

Home on the range

I've gotten all my funding, and I have a ticket for Thailand leaving July 3rd. I'm flying with China Airlines from the US to Taiwan to Chiang Mai. Until I leave I'm staying at Kerianne's house in South Dakota. Since I've seen deer and antelope playing, and skies that are not cloudy all day, its really quite beautiful.

Yesterday we took a drive up through needles highway, a paved road that weaves through large vertical rock spires. Some of the corners are pretty intense, on the edge of a cliff with nothing but a guardrail between you and destiny. We also took a drive through something called wildlife loop. I was entertained by herds of buffalo crossing the road. One particular one waddled into the middle of the road, paused for a few minutes to relieve himself (quite a road obstacle), and then continue to the other side. We stopped to take pictures of a friendly wild mule, and some pronged horns.

The day before yesterday (Friday) we drove through Spearfish canyon. Of course we stopped a few times to take pictures of the canyon. One time I convinced the others to go with time and bushwhack to the top of a rock cliff. I wandered around up on top for a bit and found that there are actually lots of trails, so we ended up taking a trail back down through a deep crevice; it was quite exciting.

No comments: